- Are you struggling to pay your medical bills?
- Are debt collectors calling you day and night?
- Are medical bills putting a financial and emotional strain on you and your family?
- Are you taking on credit card debt or seeking loans to pay doctor or hospital bills?
- Do you avoid getting needed medical treatment because of unpaid medical debt?
- Is your credit rating being ruined by medical debt?
- Are you facing bankruptcy due to medical debt?
RIP might be able to help, IF…
Did you answer “yes” to any or all of the questions above? There is a chance that RIP can help, but first you need to register for debt forgiveness. We invite you to read this whole page before registering.
Please use the form below to request debt relief. Do not use the “Contact Us” page. We will simply send you back here to join tthe Registry before we can do much else. Thanks!
What RIP can do to help you
RIP was founded to abolish medical debt for anyone in America, strangers helping strangers. We soon began to forgive medical debt for veterans and members of the military. Recently, we have evolved the capacity to forgive medical debt for communities, working with local campaign sponsors.
How RIP Forgives Debt:
- RIP mainly buys and forgives older “portfolios” of bundled medical billing accounts from health care providers and the secondary debt market (like the secondary mortgage debt market).
- RIP periodically crosschecks the portfolios we buy against the Debt Forgiveness Registry. So far, matches are rare. If your personal medical debt is ever abolished this way, RIP will notify you.
- RIP is not yet able to handpick and forgive personal medical debt for individuals like you. We’re close to figuring out on how to do it, but we’re not there yet. Registering is a bet on the future.
Meanwhile, if RIP can somehow locate your debt in the medical debt portfolios that we access, and if we are able to buy that debt, then we might be able to help you sooner. Stringent financial standards must be met, and there is no guarantee a physician, hospital, creditor, or debt seller will meet our terms for purchasing any debt we do locate (we offer pennies on the dollar).
If RIP Forgives Your Debt:
- If at some point RIP somehow is able to forgive your debt, we will mail to you a notification on paper in a yellow envelope from RIP Medical Debt. Do not toss it out. That debt forgiveness letter is your proof the debt has been abolished and is no longer collectable by anyone.
- Please note that because RIP is a 501(c)(3) charity, debt forgiveness by RIP is a gift that does not count as income and has NO tax consequences for you.
Knowing the wait may be long and RIP makes no promises, if you feel it’s worth a shot: Register for Debt Forgiveness. RIP cannot help if you do not register.
Self Help: RIP invites you to understand and exert your rights as a U.S. consumer to protect yourself from harassment by creditors: Federal Rules on Debt Collection Practices
Joining the Debt Forgiveness Registry
When you complete the form below, be as honest and specific as you feel comfortable in reporting how medical debt is affecting you and your family.
In the section about the debts you owe, the more details you provide about all of your unpaid medical debt accounts, the more factors we can search in medical debt databases to locate your debt — if and when the time comes that we can help you. RIP is HIPAA compliant, so you can list creditor names, account numbers, and amounts due. We focus on older medical debts already in collections.
Be aware that if someday we can locate, buy and forgive any of your accounts, we may not be able to abolish all of them. We want to help as much as we can.
- After you click the “Submit” button, please carefully read the confirmation massage.
- Confirmation means you are in the Registry. You need do nothing else from your end.
- We will help if and when we can. You will hear from RIP directly if we ever can help.
- To receive our infrequent e-letter for Registry members, please opt-in when we ask.
Are you a veteran or active-duty military struggling to pay medical bills? Find out about our Veteran’s Program before you register for debt forgiveness.
Caveat: Purchase and forgiveness of any locatable medical debt depends on donation levels at RIP. There is strength in numbers, yet we cannot and do not guarantee any favorable outcome.
Medical Debt Storytellers
Are you willing to help raise public awareness about the impact of personal medical debt?
If you click the checkbox in the Registry form, you may be invited to participate in local, regional or national campaigns that raise awareness and funds for abolishing medical debt. Opportunities may range from speaking at events to press interviews (newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, Internet). We also may ask you to participate in research projects.
- If you wish to be a Medical Debt Storyteller, please share as much details as you feel comfortable in the section on how medical debt is affecting you and your family. Your story helps us select which opportunities might be a good fit for you. .
- RIP Medical Debt Storytellers do NOT gain any preference for debt forgiveness. The only benefit we offer is a chance to help others in your shoes by educating people in the USA about the burden of unpaid and unpayable medical debt, so America faces the problem and creates workable solutions.
The Patient, The Doctor and the Bill Collector
A Medical Debt Survival Guide
While you wait for RIP debt forgiveness, get the book that exposes the truth behind medical debt and shows what you can do to help yourself now.
Written by RIP board member Robert Goff and co-founder Jerry Ashton, “insiders with an edge,” the book equips you for the realities of America’s health care system.
Debt Forgiveness Registration Form